Monday, May 11, 2009

Identity Management

Identity management is something I think we all engage in whether we like it or not. We are all affected by the image we portray whether we say we don't care what other people think or not. I think I engage in identity management because I am willing to spend a lot of time getting ready in the morning or am willing to spend a lot of money on designer jeans. Our culture is so enfatuated with identity management it is slightly ridiculous, but I engage in it all the same.

I could go into Target and get cheap make-up and clothes. However, I choose to buy $100 Nike shoes and $150 Buckle jeans simply because of the logo. Some of the products I buy are higher quality, but not all of them. I am willing to spend a lot of money on uncomfortable stilletos, even though I will probably only wear them once. However, the image they portray is valued enough to me to spend that amount of money on them.

The same goes for logos. Although a shirt that I buy is expensive and impractical, I am willing to spend a lot of money on it. It might be the same exact shirt as one at Target, but because it has a Polo logo on it, people are willing to shell out an extra hundred dollars to own it. I notice this especially in my Dad. Granted he has the money to spend on it, it seems completely unneccessary to me to spend so much money on things when it could go to better use. This just demonstrates our cultures enfatuation with identity management and trying to portray an image of higher status.

No comments:

Post a Comment