Monday, May 11, 2009

Certainty Vs. Provisionalism

I thought certainty vs. provisionalism was a very interesting concept addressed in the text. This was discussed when talking about Gibb's behaviors. Often times, I find people who are "certain" that they are always right. They are unwilling to back down and always think they are correct. It specifically reminds me of a girl I work with at Carbones. She is only a host and does not even serve, however, she feels she has the right to tell the servers what to do and even talks back to the managers occassionally. Honestly, I am surprised she even still has a job. She is always bad mouthing poeple and acting like she knows everything. This has many consequences for her at work. Not many people like her and nobody trusts her.

I believe I relate more closely with provisionalism. I usually think I am right, but am willing to admit when I am wrong. If someone comes up to me with an alternative theory or a better solution, I am willing to listen and give it a shot. I need my fair share of good evidence, however, and am not going to give them credit if their idea is bad. I think I am pretty open-minded and willing to accept people's ideas and change my own if their's are better.

No comments:

Post a Comment